Psychotherapy, also known as ‘talk therapy’ or ‘therapy’ is more than just talking to get things off of your chest; Trained therapists are here to guide you to achieve your goals with a mental health treatment plan tailored just for you. In therapy you are speaking with a trained mental health provider or ‘therapist’ in a safe and confidential environment. Having learned about and treated people in similar situations as yourself previously, therapists can understand your particular circumstances. Therapists are familiar with the symptoms you are experiencing and how they are disrupting your life. Therapists know what questions to ask and might pose questions that you have never heard before. Your NorthStar Regional therapist will partner with you to develop a mental health treatment plan to meet your specific needs and life circumstances.
How do I know if therapy is for me?
Consider therapy if an issue is causing distress or interferes with some part of your life. Ask yourself a few questions:
- Does thinking about or coping with the issue take up at least an hour each day?
- Does the issue cause embarrassment or make you want to avoid others?
- Has the issue caused your quality of life to decrease?
- Do you find yourself turning to drugs or alcohol as a way to deal with what’s going on in your life?
- Have your relationships, work or school been negatively affected?
- Have you made changes in your life or developed habits to cope with the issue that have not helped or even made things worse?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, creating a mental health treatment plan with a therapist may be a helpful option for you.
What will come out of my therapy sessions?
In therapy, you will learn more about yourself and find untapped motivation that can lead to improvement in all areas of life with the mental health treatment plan you are provided by your professional therapist
- Clarify your goals and set realistic steps to achieve them.
- Empower you to take action on your own.
- Improve your self-confidence.
- Establish more fulfilling relationships.
- Develop healthy coping skills.
- Improve your communication skills.
- Learn skills to manage future situations.
- Make sense of past life events
How do I start the process of getting help?
When you call NorthStar Regional our friendly front desk staff will walk you through the process of setting up an initial appointment. They will ask you some general questions to help match you with a therapist that is a good fit for you. All of our intake paperwork is done electronically and the front desk team can email them to you ahead of time, allowing you to complete them in the comfort of your own home prior to coming in for your appointment. During your first appointment the therapist will ask a series of questions to gather information about your life in the past, what is currently going on and where you would like things to be. This information is beneficial to our therapist to create the most effective mental health treatment plan for you. Appointments are either 45 or 60 minutes and typically occur once per week. Length of treatment depends heavily on your particular situation. Talk to your therapist about your estimated length of treatment
Learn more about our Mental Health Services and schedule your first appointment with a NorthStar Regional therapist who is kind, compassionate and effective and contact us to receive a mental health treatment plan tailored just for you today.